Re: [TowerTalk] Carolina Windom with IC-737

To: "'Reid'" <areidmaertz@sio.midco.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Carolina Windom with IC-737
From: "W4ZW" <w4zw@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 09:18:52 -0400
Reid,

I've used OCF Windom's for years and currently use the CW80 here for 80M
with a KW.  Mine works well on 80M (center is at 100' ASL with both ends up
about 55'ASL) and after a little pruning and feed line length adjustments I
have a 1:1 SWR on 80CW.  I use an Ameritron ATR-30 to tune it on the SSB
portion, and often use my other FT-1000 with the auto-tuner on the other
bands as a 2d radio in SO2R.  Works great.  The Super Loop 80 is their best
antenna for 80 and I've used them with great success on 80M.  The loop is
much quieter for 80M work.

As for the SWR, others have correctly noted that this is an indication of
mis-matching and not necessarily efficiency.  I have tuned this CW80 on 160
at about 400W and it barely works.  My full size double bazooka blows it
away, or even a "L" with minimal ground.

I use a CW80 at my Breckenridge, Colorado QTH and a Cushcraft R-7, both with
rather long feed-lines hidden in the National forest behind my house (HOA
rules #@%*@!) and both work well.  The CW80 often is sometimes better on the
high bands in some directions, but there it has multiple lobes.  The R-7 is
elevated 40' and generally works better on 40M, but much noisier.

The Super loop 80 is a much better antenna and has a decoupling stub that
provides a very good match for 40M and it works very well on 40M.  With a
good tuner, I've also used it on the higher bands with some success.

As others have said, if you have to use wires, the CW80 is a pretty good
compromise for multi-band operation.

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

Casey Key Island, Florida
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
8:36 AM