Re: [TowerTalk] Ufer ground using copper wire

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ufer ground using copper wire
From: "W7CE" <w7ce@curtiss.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:02:21 -0700
Sinking the ground rod several inches below the bottom of the foundation
hole and only running copper wire out the bottom of the concrete is no
problem.  If house foundations use copper wire for Ufer grounds, then it
sounds safe to assume that copper embedded in concrete does not eventually
corrode away.

I figured that putting the copper rod below the foundation would increase
the sphere of influence (I think that is the correct term) compared to
putting a copper rod at the surface.  A friend in the tower business
suggested that I should consider 1" diameter copper pipe sunk 20' into the
ground and I may consider doing that as well.  I can pound in 8' ground rods
with a regular hammer here, so I suspect that with a little thought, I can
probably get 20' rods installed.  I typically find water about 8-10 feet
below the surface here since I live on a lake, although I don't know if that
will improve the grounding at all.  At the very least I'll also install
several 8' ground rods away from the tower base.  Here in Western
Washington, we rarely get lightning and I've never heard of a local ham
being struck by lightning, but I might as well be safe.

73,
Clay  W7CE