Re: [TowerTalk] 160m Vertical

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160m Vertical
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 23:12:07 -0500
Instead of asking what does it take to match this, the question should
be, why does this not already give a good match.  Using your updated
information, and assuming some kind of guy wire system that is broken
up, I get resonance at 1.89 MHz with an SWR of 1.03 with no matching
network.

Measurements with the antenna analyzers, you agreed aren't accurate
because of excessive RF.  You didn't say what you measured with an SWR
meter and some power, other than nothing matched.  The one measurement
you gave was with 75 ft of coax.  That was enough to indicate that
something out of the ordinary is seriously affecting the antenna.  This
was only an SWR measurement so it is impossible to back the R and J
components out of this. If that was resonance (unlikely but possibly
close) then the antenna impedance is either 130 or 19 ohms, most likely
the lower one.

So apparently my model does not agree with what you measured, but I have
no idea how far off it is.  Guy wire lengths can change the answer a lot
as well as other towers that are close.  You didn't answer either of
those questions either.  For example, in my model, if only one insulator
is used per guy wire, the resonant frequency moves to 1.78 MHz (minimum
SWR 2.6), which happens to be what you measured, but I'm only guessing
at guy wire lengths.  I'm willing to help (or at least try), but I have
no information to work with.

You can experimentally find a network to match this, but something is
significantly affecting the antenna, and most likely it will effect the
radiation pattern, or the efficiency of the antenna.  How that pattern
will be affected is unknown at this point.

Jerry, K4SAV