[TowerTalk] 160m Vertical

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 160m Vertical
From: K2EK@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 20:28:32 EDT
Geez - considering the collective effort to analyze this, we could have
(collectively) built 10 or more verticals for this guy....

One thing I do not remember reading in all of the posts...  Was conductivity
of the tower ever mentioned?
Was this vertical built using new sections or old, gnarly stuff??  Do we know
in fact that the tower is 125 feet (more or less) electrically or is it 30,
40,  50 feet and then ending at a seriously corroded joint?

I just put up 65 feet (yes, I had a 5 foot section) of 55G I got from K4XS.
Some sections looked new.  Others older than Methuselah.  Not wanting to deal
with uncertainty, I sanded / jumpered each section join.  Ran drop wires from
the top. Inserted L-network to transform 50 to some higher  folded monopole
impedance (matching suggestion courtesy NX1G) and 10 minutes later was done.
With only 50 or 100 radials in place, it plays as expected.

Bill
K2EK