To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 58, Issue 5
From: "John & Peggy" <bankhein@frontiernet.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 21:02:20 -0500

   1. Re: beam slippage (Pete Smith)

If you have a controller that derives its position internally like many of
mine, install a multi-pole switch in the drive wires going out to the rotor
motor that breaks the drive current to it.  When I want to make a
correction, I switch the motor off, turn the controller dial to the
antenna's present position, then switch back to control.  I realize a lot of
rotor systems don't allow this because the position feedback is coming from
the rotor itself, and in that case, you'll have to come up with a different
method; but if you use inexpensive, cheesy rotors to turn small antennas,
like me, this works great.  And yes, you may have to make major corrections
if you eventually accumulate so much slippage that your rotor won't correct
for it anymore (or your coax wraps around the mast like spaghetti).

John K0JJH