[TowerTalk] PL259

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] PL259
From: Craig Clark <jcclark@wildblue.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 16:00:14 -0400
This subject is like indigestion, the True North and Owl threads. It
keeps coming back.

I am pretty sure the connectors Tim, K3LR uses are from Andros in
Rochester, NY. They are silver teflon and are available at most
hamfests and from selected mail-order dealers. I used to carry them
but found the shells to be less rugged than the Amphenol 83-1sp's
that I now sell exclusively.

Re soldering, I make lots of cables every month and find using the
"Solder-it" Butane soldering torch to be far superior to any other
method of soldering. Fred Doob, K8PP, sold me one many years ago at
Dayton and I have made every cable since then using his soldering
tool. Careful use of spot heat will insure proper solder adhesion
without damage to the cable. Once you get the technique down, it
works flawlessly.

http://www.solder-it.com/pro120.asp

Yes, this is a shameless plug for a friend.

Another issue is why do hams have an aversion to crimp-on PL259's?
They are easy to put on and mechanically superior to soldered
connectors.  Using them should be a "no-brainer."

73, Craig Clark, K1QX

RADIOWARE AND RADIO BOOKSTORE
PO  BOX 209
RINDGE NH 03461