Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259's

To: "Steve Katz" <stevek@jmr.com>, <K2EK@aol.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259's
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:18:36 -0400
From: "Steve Katz" <stevek@jmr.com>
To: <K2EK@aol.com>; <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 7:08 PM

> >...whereas the
> "recommended" installation per the Amphenol book is good to at least 300
> MHz, and most are quite good even to 440 MHz.
>

> Doesn't everyone switch over to N connectors above 2M   Somehow using a
> PL259
> on UHF seems sacrilegious.
>
> de Bill
> K2EK<
>
> ::Actually, *good* PL-259s, properly installed (with the outer conductor
> terminating well inside the connector, right up against the plug
> dielectric
> insulation at the pin), are easily good to 70cm with no measurable loss
> and
> they can handle more current (thus, higher power) than type Ns can.  Like
> with most coaxial connectors, the weak link is the female, not the male.
> Oh, I might say that about my marriage also, but I'll bite my tongue.
> -WB2WIK/6

Several published tests show a good PL-259 coming to almost a perfect 50
Ohms at 222 MHz but exhibiting a bit under 2:1 at 432. While that VSWR wont
bother a FM wanker or scanner its not good at QRO or for that weak signal
receiver noise figure.

Even the best SO-239 will fry at a 600W on 432, I proved it! Ive also blown
them at 1500W on 144.

Carl
KM1H