Re: [TowerTalk] Safe Climbing was Re: Roswell Tower Accident

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Safe Climbing was Re: Roswell Tower Accident
From: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 06:22:52 -0700

 From: w3ea@hotmail.com
 To: joecooldxer@msn.com; n6kj.kelly@gmail.com; towertalk@contesting.com;
n4zr@contesting.com
 SNIP..
 On another note I can't find it, but it was a article with graphs on fatal
tower rigging/erection accidents. it's one fact that stuck with me was that a
alarming majority of human Error accidents occurred not on ascending or working
in position but while De sending ! IMHO where your tired, thirsty, and want to
get the day done.

Very true...Same is true at Indy (Raceway) Some of the most dangerous laps at
Indianapolis Motor speedway are the cool down laps, the one right after an
"on it" hot lap in qualifying, when you are releived, relaxed, not so vigilant,
and travelling only, say 70 percent of your "on it" speed, which is say, "only"
190 mph.  A number of drivers have been killed or injured on cool down laps.
Roberto Guererro who was injured, retired from racing,  comes to mind.

And as I recall, the DESCENT  from great montains like Everest, is where the
most  mistakes are made.

73, Pat AA6EG