Re: [TowerTalk] Best climbing harnesses

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Best climbing harnesses
From: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 09:35:03 -0600
IMO the first double action hook is a hazard in itself.  If you are
going to struggle to get the hook open then you are increasing your
risk.  Equipment must be safe and at the same time easy to use.  If you
are struggling with your equipment up the tower then you better change
your equipment.

Doug

This is maybe a fine point, but I have run into two kinds of
double-action
hooks - in fact, my positioning lanyard has one type, while my
fall-arrest
lanyard has the other.  The difference - on the positioning lanyard, the

placement of the safety latch is such that you have to work pretty hard
hold the latch while opening the hook with the same hand.  On the
fall-arrest, the placement is natural for thumb and fingers, requiring
much
less hand strength.  As I recall I bought the latter before the former -
is
there some problem with the easier version that prompted OSHA to mandate
change?

73, Pete N4ZR

23/10/2007 1:26 PM

Checked by AVG Free Edition.