[TowerTalk] Best climbing harnesses

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Best climbing harnesses
From: "Jim McDonald" <jim@n7us.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 21:27:11 -0500
I bought my climbing belt with butt strap 30+ years ago.  It was the best I
could find at the time.  Now there are federal safety standards, and the
body harnesses have not just two D rings on the waist but two more on the
butt strap, one of the back for fall arrest, plus maybe another one on the
chest (why?).

Specific models are mentioned on the reflector from time to time, but I
wonder if we could get a quick series of posts of recommended harnesses,
fall arrest lanyards (one or two pieces?), and positioning lanyards.  Steve,
K7LXC, sells one, and a Google search will turn up lots more to the point of
being confusing.

I don't know what a double-lever activation snap is.  What's a capstan or
mule operator?

Even if a good system is $400, the cost is irrelevant in my opinion.  It's
like the joke about no one on their deathbed saying they wished they'd spent
more time at the office.  It's about priorities, and not creating hams'
widows.

Specific recommendations?  I think now is a good time with this wake-up
call.

Jim N7US