Re: [TowerTalk] Tower accident,

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower accident,
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 22:21:49 -0400

> bill rubin wrote:
>> I know that ARRL has a tower safety book, but I would like to see them
>> put
>> out a Video (DVD) that is professionally done.  I think it would help
>> many
>> of us.
>>
>> Bill N1HWC
>
> Instead of a video that parrots that book, maybe they need
> a video showing pictures of dead climbers after they've
> been smashed on the ground, kind of like those drivers ed
> movies that scare you about drunk driving.  Or the climber who

I know of no modern school or corporation that still uses that approach.  It
turned out to have an overall negative impact on safety rather than
positive. Initially the shock worked, but then as the human inclination is
to push the limits we did and nothing happened to most.  So...we just keep
pushing.  It's much like a backlash or recoil. Nothing happens so we tend to
push farther.

The multinational corporation I worked for gave up on that over 30 years
ago.

73

Roger (K8RI)