Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Falls, Safety Issues

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Falls, Safety Issues
From: Mike Miller <wa0zog@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 00:35:38 -0500
Ok, ok...you all have pulled me out of the woodwork as well.  I've been
looking hard at harnesses, belts, lanyards, and such as well.  I've only
got a 40-footer that I'm finishing up, may even (with any luck) get the
beam up top before the weekend is over.

Here's the way I see it for me:

I wasn't too keen on heights to begin with.

I took one fall from around 20 feet off of a ladder onto a concrete
driveway onto my back and walked away (and into the ER to get checked
out - always good practice after something like that).  It took six
months before they found the only real damage, which was nothing more
than a hairline fracture in one heelbone, which healed up long ago.

I'm even more uncomfortable at heights now, but realize that I can't
always depend on someone else to maintain my things, so need to protect
my safety.  I'd need to anyway, but being uncomfortable makes the need
that much more immediate and critical.  Due to that, some overkill can't
be all bad.  And checking with the locals regarding tower rescues is a
good idea (thanks, Pat, I might not have thought of that right away).

Hopefully, nothing needs working on before I get the proper climbing
gear or the necessary courage to use it....

Thanks to everyone for all of the good information, both on this topic
and the others that I've used in the past....you all have no idea how
helpful you've been!

73,
Mike, WA0ZOG