Re: [TowerTalk] Cable Treatment Suggestions

To: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>,"'Joe Wilkowski'" <k8fc@k8fc.com>, <K2EK@aol.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cable Treatment Suggestions
From: "Dan Hearn" <dhearn@air-pipe.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 07:48:10 -0800
Bob, when I moved to a home with a 4 acre plot the previous owner left an
old Sears riding mower. It was unusual in that it had a lever on the side
which raised and lowered a plow head ( I think they are called molds). It
had a curved arm similar to the one in K8FC's photo but much smaller. I
built an attachment similar to his to plant radials. The head was made of
1/4 thick steel plate. The forward part of the plate was sloped back at
about a 30-40 degree angle. This makes a downward force when it is pulled
thru the ground. The bottom of the plate was horizontal and about 6 inches
long. The rear of the plate was curved gradually so that at the top it was
parallel to the front edge of the plate. At the bottom rear corner it was
parallel to the ground. On the rear curved surface was tack welded a piece
of steel brake line tubing extending from the top all the way to the bottom
of the plate where it was horizontal. I fed the radial wire down thru this
tube so it exited horizontally behind the blade as it was pulled along. I
used it a while this way but the welding on the steel tube caused some
roughness on the inside and sometimes the wire did not run thru smoothly. I
then put a piece of teflon spagetti down thru the tube and the wire inside
it. A bit of tape around the top of the spagetti kept it in place. This
system worked extremely well. I put down 40 nr 16 bare radials for each of
my 4 80m verticals. I also put down 16 160m radials on another tower in
about 1 hour. At the tower base I made a small ditch about 6 inches deep
around the tower so the head of the plow could be inserted into it and
pulled horizontally. The end of the radial wire was connected to the tower
base temporarily to hold it in place.