Re: [TowerTalk] Generator (natural gas) and lightning

To: Towertalk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Generator (natural gas) and lightning
From: Martin Ewing - AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 14:59:25 -0500
Interesting question.  Kind of OT, of course.

The generator would be outdoors and reasonably well grounded, right?  I
don't see a problem, any more than any of us might have with gas
appliances or heating.  You might even be safer since you don't have an
electric entrance that could bring in surges.

I've wondered about the operating costs, which have to be higher per
kW-Hr.  How many QSOs can you make before you use up the installation
savings?  Then maybe you can use the waste heat somehow in winter?  The
mind boggles.

73 Martin AA6E