Re: [TowerTalk] Be Careful

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Be Careful
From: Gregg Martell <gmartell@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 21:34:19 -0500
Trenches can be very dangerous - dirt weighs over 100 lbs per cubic
foot, so a cave-in in even a shallow trench can be deadly.  If you
are over your head in a hole that isn't properly prepared/shored you
are taking your life in hand.  The links below provide some insights
on this.  If you're going to do nothing else to protect yourself, you
should never put loose dirt near the edge of your hole, as indicated
below it can flow back in.

We're doing a large expansion at work with a 20' deep hole, the
excavating contractor spent as much time preparing the side walls
(3:1 setbacks, compacting soil, etc) for safety in the hole as they
did removing the dirt.  Even with this preparation, we selectively
shore areas during some work activities to further protect the workers.

http://www.trenchsafety.org/trench/sample/buriedalive.html

http://ohioline.osu.edu/aex-fact/0391.html

Gregg
KI3G