Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-Up Tower Base Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-Up Tower Base Question
From: RICHARD SOLOMON <w1ksz@q.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 23:45:34 +0000
The overwhelming consensus is as you state.
I'll have a chat with the Backhoe operator and if I don't get
a "warm fuzzy" I'll look for another digger.

Thanks for all the replies,

73, Dick, W1KSZ/7

> From: n4kw@wildblue.net> To: w1ksz@q.com> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-Up
> Tower Base Question> Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 16:28:42 -0500> > Dick, Its
> extremely hard for a backhoe to dig and size hole that you want. > No big
> deal if the hole is larger (other than it will cost more for cement). > The
> statement for "undisturbed soil" if of utmost concern and should be >
> followed at all cost. The strength of the tower comes from the base. If > the
> base moves say a couple of inches, the show is over. Dig the smallest > hole
> you can that is not under the dimensions given put your steel cage in > it,
> follow the tower instructions and fill the entire hole with concrete. I > am
> sure that I am not the only one telling you not to let them dig a large >
> hole and try to backfill it.> 73 Pete N4KW> > > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "RICHARD SOLOMON" <w1ksz@q.com>> To: "TowerTalk"
> <towertalk@contesting.com>> Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2007 3:09 PM> Subject:
> [TowerTalk] Crank-Up Tower
 Base Question> > > >I plan to install an LM-470 in the near future. The base
specs are 3'6 X > >3'6 X 7 feet. A note> > on the drawing mentions
..."undisturbed soil"... . The Backhoe Operator > > tells me the hole he> >
digs will be more like 6' X 6' and the will use concrete forms to reduce > > it
to the required size.> > After the forms are removed, they will backfill the
hole.> >> > What do you folks think of that plan ?> >> > Thanks, Dick, W1KSZ/7>