Re: [TowerTalk] Mounting a Remote Antenna Switch?

To: Eric Rosenberg <w3dq@arrl.net>, towertalk@contesting.com,PVRC Reflector <pvrc@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mounting a Remote Antenna Switch?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 17:07:00 -0500 (EST)

-----Original Message-----

Sure.. the relays are not position sensitive.

However, they ARE vibration/shock sensitive.  Bump the box too hard, and the
little tabs on the back of the armature will unseat from the notches in the
bracket.  I suspect that a fair number of "DOA" relay boxes are from getting
shocked in shipping.  Out of 5 RCS-8V boxes I got in one big shipment, I had 1
relay that had unseated.

>2.  Can I use CAT5 cable for the control line? It is 4 pairs of small gauge
>cable, and the switch wants 5 conductors.

Are you sure it's only 5 conductors?  Isn't it 1 common and 5 relay lines?

In any case, Cat5 is AWG24 and will work just fine. It's about 25 ohms/1000 ft.
 The relay has a 120 ohm coil and probably pulls in at about 8-9 Volts. 10-20
ohms in series probably won't keep it from pulling in.  The RCS8V control box
isn't particularly voltage sensitive (it's normally fed by a 12V wall wart) so
you could probably run it a bit overvoltage (possibly shortening the life of
the LEDs) to make up for the loss.

jim, W6RMK