Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp on PL-259's for RG-6U

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp on PL-259's for RG-6U
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 14:20:44 -0800
That's only part of the question. What kind of RG6 -- there are
dozens of different types, all a bit different in important ways.
Foil or copper shield?  How will you use this coax?  Small signal
(RX antennas) or XMIT?  Indoors or outdors?

For transmitting RG6 (like Belden with copper braid shield), I've
used standard solder-type PL259 with reducers, striping the outer
conductor enough to fit within the reducer. Works file. Of course
they must be thoroughly weatherproofed if they're going outdoors.
But we would do that anyway.

For RX applications (and for cables you can't solder, the Snap N
Seal connectors that DXE sells are good stuff. I think they only
sell F-connectors, but the company makes many other connectors,
including BNC. Not cheap, and they MUST fit the specific cable type
you have, otherwise they'll come apart.

73,

Jim K9YC