Re: [TowerTalk] Gloves and other items

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Gloves and other items
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 17:54:49 -0500

> TT:
>
>     I just got back on the ground from repairing a broken 160M shunt wire
> on my tower.  (FYI - the shunt feed showed infinite SWR in the shack and
> out at the tower I found one of the two shunt wires was broken at the top
> PVC unsulator - of course - probably from wind whipping the insulator up
> and down over the years.)
>
>     This was the first climb since I purchased my fingerless gloves
> http://store.pksafety.net/blst98fi.html .  I don't like them.  The glove
> material ends at the second knuckle of each finger, just where I tend to
> grab the angle steel members of my Trylon tower.  I might as well have
> climbed without 'em.  I would prefer buying a pair of full-finger gloves
> and cutting off the tips for better dexterity as some of you have done.

I use "tight fiting", soft leather gloves that are relatively thin. Thin
enough I can pick up and install 1/4" nuts and bolts, but not the washers.
When I have to get to the finer stuff I take the glove off one hand and use
that one for the fine work. If need be (hand gets cold) I'll put that glove
back on and take the other one off. I also carry one of the old
"Jon-e" (TM) Handwarmers in my coat pocket this time of year. I should get
something else, that thing is so old it's probably valuable. (IIRC purchased
in 57 or 58), but it still feels good to reach into a warm pocket.

>     Can anyone comment on the framer's gloves on the above web page?
> What's the difference between these and what I already have?

As far as fingerless gloves, I don't like them.  I wear gloves to protect my
fingers and particularly when climbing hot dipped, galvanized towers with
lots of sharp things sticking out.

>     Thanks and Merry Christmas.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)