Re: [TowerTalk] parallel inverted ell's

To: towertalk@contesting.com, coulter@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] parallel inverted ell's
From: Jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 09:12:36 -0500

Todd,

The answer is yes.

I did it in an 80/160 configuration, using 450 ohm transmission line as the
lower 67'.  The vertical was about 10' from a 130' pine tree, base elevated
by 15' or so, with 3 elevated radials for each band.  The 160 portion folded
over the tree somewhat.  This dualbander was fed with a common 50 ohm coax.

The 80m portion had to be pruned down to 62'-ish to bring resonance in-band.
This proved to be close to the proper length, based on VF for the OWL.  I
had neglected to consider that, in constructing the antenna.

Radials were cut to 105%, and folded back on themselves, to fine-tune the
resonant frequency on each band.

With individual wires spaced 1' or more apart, I would expect less
interaction.

Good luck!

Jim/n2ea

-0-

Is it ok to build parallel inverted L's for both 40m and 75m similar to
the method that you would build parallel dipoles?

I was thinking about using my tower as the support and running parallel
inverted L's which would be secured to the tower by pvc standoffs and
separated from each other by about 12 inches or so(less if workable).
The 1/4 wave 40m inverted L would actually be just a 1/4 wave vertical,
but the 75m would need to be in the L configuration for the last 10 feet
or so of the wire.

Would this work assuming that I had a decent radial system attached to
it?

Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

                                73's
                                Todd
                                N4JRZ