[TowerTalk] MFJ vs Original HyGain

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MFJ vs Original HyGain
From: "Larry & Karen" <k0is@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 14:33:11 -0600
Personally, I wouldn't recommend the MFJ version of any HyGain original. A
while back I bought a six element six meter yagi and a 5 element ten, both on
eBay. Not having paid much for either although both were in excellent
condition, the difference in the boom material was the first thing I noticed.
It's much lighter than it used to be. When I put the six meter antenna together
I used boom sections from an old TH6DXX which was beyond repair for a
reasonable amount of money due to age. I did this because they were noticeably
heavier (sturdier). Then I found the same thing to be true of the ten meter
yagi as well. The other thing I have noticed is that the fit between sections
of elements is not as good, plus, the hose clamps are just a bit chintzy as far
as design basics go. The old HyGain clamps were far better. So now that I will
be in the market come Spring for a tri-band yagi or a monobander for 15 or 20
meters.....it won't be HyGain/MFJ. As far as the tri-band operation g
 oes....I'm leaning toward the 4 element Steppir. Yeah, I know, compromise and
all that theory, but I have only one tower for these antennas so have to look
at the overall picture. Hope this info helps steer you in the right direction.

Larry  K0IS