Re: [TowerTalk] get those HF EME antennas ready...

To: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] get those HF EME antennas ready...
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 07:30:00 -0800
Dennis OConnor wrote:
> Hmmm, looks to me considerably less than -25dB difference...

   Ionosphere reflection is shown as ~ -64dB <avg> and
  the moon is looking like ~ -78dB...

you're right.  I misread the graph.

>    Wonder how much loss they had in matching those short blades to 7045?
> ALso, I wonder how much power each set of blades radiates...

The blades are on the receive side.  They have an active balun at the
top (if you follow the link at the bottom to the LWA website, there's a
huge amount of information about the design of the array there).

HAARP has a big adjustable LC network fed by a rack of  big tube amps at
each element (There are 2 10kW amps for each element)

http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/haarp/ant.html

  Looks like RG58 feeding them...