[TowerTalk] Plumbing Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Plumbing Towers
From: "David Branson KC0LL" <kc0ll@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:23:56 -0700
I built a jig and placed it on top my 90 foot self supporting Sabre tower,
it held a nylon string in the middle of my three foot wide top section. I
placed a heavy weight on the bottom of the string and drove a rod to mark the
center of the 7 foot wide tower at the bottom. Then I waited for a
time when the wind didn't blow, and waited, and waited... Even an
imperceptible wind would move it many feet. One night I got up and looked
out at my neighbors lit flag, there was no movement at all. I went out and
lifted the weight so the string had no weight on it. If you do this and the
string still hangs straight and doesn't move or bow to one side, then there is
no
wind at all. So at 3AM I was out in my back yard cranking very large anchor
nuts to plumb my tower. It worked fine, but I had to find just the right
time to do it, like 3AM on a cold night.
See the tower at  http://www.kc0ll.net

David F. Branson

Senior Technician
Action Communications, Inc.