[TowerTalk] Sealing Pigtails - Opinions?

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Sealing Pigtails - Opinions?
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 16:54:05 -0600
As long as we're discussing sealing, I have a question about sealing coax
pigtails. Waterproofing the end of a coax pigtail can be difficult because
of the exposed braid and the stranded center conductor of most coax.  Both
wick water back into the cable.  I've attempted waterproofing a couple of
ways - I'm sure the group can suggest some improvements.

Both methods assume that the jacket has been peeled back and that I have a
flat braid pigtail and some center insulator and exposed center conductor
forming the other pigtail.  Furthermore, the center insulator is solid and
the center conductor is stranded.  Ring or spade terminals are the preferred
termination.

Method #1 - Crimp on the terminals and solder, flooding the end of the wire
and braid with solder, attempting to fill the interstrand volumes.  From the
braid terminal, flood with solder back at least 1 cm.  From the center
conductor terminal, flood with solder down into the center conductor.  Paint
entire cable end liberally, but apolitically, with liquid electrical tape up
to the terminal.  Work the goo into the strands as much as possible.

Method #2 - Crimp terminal on center conductor and flood with solder as in
Method #1. Trim braid to about 1 cm long and solder to a solid jumper wire
with terminal soldered on.  Now paint with the liquid electrical tape as in
Method #1.

The goal of both methods is to form a relatively solid barrier to water
being wicked into the cable.  The pigtails formed by either method can be
wrapped with electrical tape, if desired, but the water barrier should not
depend on the tape.

73, Ward N0AX