[TowerTalk] Traps and traps - dipping again into the pool of knowledge

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Traps and traps - dipping again into the pool of knowledge
From: "Artmouton" <k5fnq@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:36:26 -0600
I guess I will have to get the whole listserv here for a crawfish boil once
I finish this, as I keep dipping into the pool of knowledge.

Anyway - I found that using simple green 1:1 with the Scotch brite pads did
what I needed to do to get off the basic growth off of the tower.

I am now taking each element and cleaning them.  Along with this is the
attempt to clean out traps

Well - not as expected

Attempted to take down a Trap A (this is on a Cushcraft A-3 with the 40
meter add on)
No coil in the trap as far as I can see.

Removed the end caps. Plastic parts on each end fitting into the circular
trap, with the element going through the middle with one part screwed to the
outside portion of the trap.
I can move the element and one plastic end but the other will not come out.
But, when I look in I do not see any wire coil as expected.....

I figured if I buggered up on trap in figuring out what was in there, I can
replace that with Cushcraft.

Any ideas as to what to do.

Is it always best to take the trap down all of the way - kind of
"If it don't move force it, if it breaks, it needed replacing anyway",
theory?

Or, do I just wash it out the best way possible with WD 40 through the ends
and drain holes.  Is it worth dipping the whole trap in a bucket to
something like simple green and using that to wash out as much as possible

Again, thanks to the group as to all of the help on this project.
Art K5FNQ

Art Mouton

"[S]o long as the people do not care to exercise their freedom, those who
wish to tyrannize will do so; for tyrants are active and ardent, and will
devote themselves in the name of any number of gods, religious and
otherwise, to put shackles upon sleeping
men." --Voltaire