Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum tower welds...Old Data circa mid 1970's .......

To: "'res1q6fs'" <roger.white@verizon.net>, "'towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum tower welds...Old Data circa mid 1970's ..........
From: "W5LT" <W5LT@tx.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 07:45:49 -0600
It appears you had a lemon. Welding of Aluminum is not something for the
casual do-it-yourselfer. The process requires special equipment (Heliarc) to
fuse the aluminum in a non-oxidizing environment (Helium) and special
training of the operator. I am sure Universal uses that process, but the
workmanship is also subject to operator variations. Perhaps you got a test
model of a beginning welder.
I had an older design aluminum tower (1964) that developed a few cracks, but
as it turns out it was overloaded; the ratings of some tower manufacturers
are questionable.  I now have a new design Heights tower (c. 1997) which is
quite beefy, and is designed according to the UBC1997 structural
requirements by a Professional Engineering company.
Interestingly, when I was preparing to upgrade my old installation to a
heavier design and asked Universal for their engineering design
calculations, they were unable or declined to provide them.
73s
Bob, W5LT