Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum tower welds...Old Data circa mid 1970's .......

To: res1q6fs <roger.white@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum tower welds...Old Data circa mid 1970's ..........
From: n8de@thepoint.net
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 09:18:59 -0500
I think you must have gotten a bad batch of tower welds, as I have had
no problems like you describe with any of my Universal sections EXCEPT
for the sections that were felled by tornadoes!
One of those sections had ONE weld broken which I have had repaired by
a local welding shop that knew exactly how to do the job.
The biggest problems with the aluminum towers are:

1.  Not checking bolt tightness regularly, which allows the bolt holes
in the legs to elongate through tower flexation.

2.  Electrolysis between the bolts and tower sections which causes the
bolts to deteriorate INSIDE the tower legs over time.  This can be
prevented/minimized by dipping the bolts in silicone seal BEFORE
insertion through the tower legs during assembly.

I will have 7 of these towers up sometime this year [if I don't run
out of cash paying for concrete and a backhoe!]

73
Don
N8DE