[TowerTalk] Rotator Loop

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotator Loop
From: Bill Carnett <ah6fc@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 14:26:41 -0800 (PST)
Greetings,

Though the idea of a rotator loop is pretty simple,
I'm looking for any novel approaches others have had.

 Over the past winter, my coax has been disrupted
twice up at the rotator loop.  In spite of an adequate
loop, it seems that the coax is getting hung up on one
of the members of the top of the tower.  Honestly
can't figure how it happens, maybe strong wind while
turning and the cable gets caught and pops?  It works
for quite a while, then boom...breaks again.  I can
watch it turn and there is plenty of excess cable.
The rotator automatically travels the shortest
distance to a heading, so rarely will travel 360
degrees.  Really can't figure why this is happening.
At this point I'm planning on creating a very sizable
loop falling off of the boom some distance from the
mast, maybe this will help in the future.

Since I've got a fairly large yagi up there, repair
usually requires a crane to reach out to the
connection point on the yagi...getting expensive.

Maybe somebody has some unique solutions?
Thanks
73, Bill
AH6FC/7