Re: [TowerTalk] Planning New Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com, markrob@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Planning New Tower
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 06:54:36 EDT

In a message dated 3/16/2008 4:30:05 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I am starting the planning phase of my tower. I am thinking  of installing
a Texas Towers HDX-589MDPL crank up tower. I would like to put a  MonstIR
beam on it. I am concerned with the windloading - fully extended I  don't think
that I have enough safety margin - I believe that the Steppir has  a windload
of around 30sq feet.

    First, Texas Towers is a dealer for US Tower, the  manufacturer.

    You are well advised to be skeptical. Wake County  is a 75 MPH windspeed
zone (from _http://www.championradio.com/windspeed.php_
(http://www.championradio.com/windspeed.php) ).  Crank-ups return moderate
windloading for their
high cost.

>   Can I guy this tower at the top to get a better wind loading

    No. You cannot put any more tension on the  tower/cables with guys.

>  or should I leave it at say 50 of 60 feet most of the time?

That would get you lots more capacity but at a  height that would only have
negative effects on your MonstIR performance.

I guess my question is why spend the premium for  a crank-up when a
self-supporting tower would give you whatever height you  want with a more
reliable
structure. Of course a guyed tower would be even  somewhat less expensive for
the
cost.

>  Does anyone know how the max windloading figure increases as  the tower is
nested?

    You're asking engineering questions. Contact UST  for specific answers.
They're not particularly well informed about engineering  questions but you
need to start somewhere.

>  What would be  the recommended rotor for a beam of this mass - I want the
installation to  hold up in our rough summer storms. I am located in North
Carolina

The Orion with the Green Heron controller  is second only to a prop pitch.
The Orion mast clamp is a very poor design. _www.championradio.com_
(http://www.championradio.com)  sells a custom  clamp that does a much better
job. There
isn't any info currently on the  website - sorry - but I can send you a picture
of it if you're interested.  They're $120.00, are hot-dipped galvanized and
use 6 U-bolts to hold the  mast.

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH -