[TowerTalk] KFI Tower Falls...again!

To: wara@mailman.qth.net,r.gonsett@ieee.org
Subject: [TowerTalk] KFI Tower Falls...again!
From: Dino Darling <dino@k6rix.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:46:51 -0700
It saddens me to report that a single point failure cause the new KFI
tower to fall this afternoon around 2:00PM.  I was on site when the
failure happened and took a photo of the tower coming down.  Two
levels of guys were in place.  The third level guys were slowly being
brought into place, in unison, when the failure occurred.  The tower
was just under 300' at the time.

Nobody was on the tower during this phase of the installation and
only one person was hurt when the North/East guy structure gave
away.  There was some minor damage to a couple of trailers and the
top 8' of the gin pole came through a warehouse roof.   Other than
that, there is just a bundle of steel and ceramic in the parking lot
with some damage to the enclosure wall and fence.

I won't go into details on the single point failure at this time,
other to say that the tower crew did NOT cause this accident.  The
third level guys were slacked at the time of the failure.

I'll be posting pictures on my website this evening.

http://www.k6rix.com/

Dino - K6RIX
dino@k6rix.com