Re: [TowerTalk] Radial length

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radial length
From: "Joe Reisert, W1JR" <W1JR@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 11:04:07 -0400
Jim etal,

I also measured the effect of ground radials when I loaded my 70 foot
tower (with 40 meter beam on top) on 160 meters. I used an HP 9753C
network analyzer and a non resonant loop about 6 feet in diameter
located some distance from the antenna. My radials were all about 125
feet long made from #14 solid copper PVC coated (from Home Depot) and
lying right on the ground. My ground it typical of NH. Hardly any
soil on top of ROCK!

Anyhow, I went in steps from 4 to 8 to 16 and finally 32
symmetrically spaced radials around the tower and measured the field
strength referenced to the 4 radials at each step just noted. My
results (as I recall-my notebook is not nearby) were within 1 dB of
what W8JI measured! From 16 to 32 was less than a 1.0 dB change so
there is where I stopped. The ground in the far field here is so poor
it's probably not worth going to more radials.

BTW, in my opinion measuring the impedance changes to check the
effective improvement is not always a reliable way to determine if
you have enough radials. I also checked impedance at each step in the
process and two things happen. First off, as radials were added,
especially in the lower numbers, the matched impedance not only
changed but moved frequency (from the prior match) so I had to
re-match the antenna at each step. This impedance was also measured
on the network analyzer. I am using shunt feeding so it's a little
bit more complicated than if the tower was insulated and isolated
from other appendages. Not enough real estate here for that.

I did a similar measurement of impedance on an 80 meter vertical
(much modified MFJ-1792) using series feed with 16 and then 32
radials. The changes were slight but nevertheless could easily be
seen with good portable measurement gear like the Autek VA-1 or MFJ
259B. When you have short or loaded verticals the losses can really
skyrocket with a poor ground system. Remember that full sized quarter
wavelength verticals are much less affected by ground system losses.

73,

Joe, W1JR