[TowerTalk] Towers & City Ordinances

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Towers & City Ordinances
From: RLVZ@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 11:33:35 EDT

This reminds me of an experience I had in Carthage, Illinois.  We  needed to
put up a 75' communications tower in downtown Carthage, across from  the
County Seat Building.  There were several other towers with various  heights
that
were clearly in view from our proposed location.  And an  80' tower was located
only 1/2 block away.  Since the tower would be  located across from the
County building, we thought be better apply  for a permit.  We filled out the
permit and later the City Council advised  us to attend their next meeting.
Upon
attending the meeting, the city  attorney read a City Ordinance written in the
1950's that stated "no  towers were allowed in the downtown area of Carthage".
 I asked them "then  how did the Bank just 1/2 block down the street put up
their tower, and how did  the Wifi group get permission to construct their
tower  on the City Library property?"  After a pause, the group asked  one
another
"did these groups ever apply for a permit to build their  tower?  After
discussion, the answer was "no"!   The City  then asked us to pay for the City
attorney to draft new rules pertaining to  towers.  I told them the radio
station
did not have funds for  such an endeavor.  After a big hastle and a lot of
delay... we finally got  permission to put up the tower.  Everyone needs to
decide for themselves  whether it's better to apply for a permit or just put
the
tower(s) up and  forget the permitting... and if problems arise "ask for
forgiveness".  In either case, I suggest you take pictures and  document that
the
tower foundation work was done according to the  tower manufacturers specs.

73,
Dick- K9OM

In a message dated 3/22/2008 8:01:07 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,