Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Permits

To: K7LXC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Permits
From: jcowens1@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:09:17 +0000
When I did my permitted tower installation,  the only inspection they did
on-site was to take a preliminary look at the installation site, and determine
setback compliance. I provided the US Tower data sheets that shows their
installation recommendations for a safe installation, but they never did an
on-site inspection after the inital looksee. I invited them to at various
stages of the installation, but they always declined. They didn't even want to
look at the completed installation. You can bet I took plenty of photographs of
the hole, rebar cage, concrete pour, etc so that they couldn't claim improper
installation after the fact.  It was always in my best interest to do it by the
book so that there are no surprises.

Another good recommendation concerns neighbors trees. I have 2 neighboring lots
with very tall Douglas Fir Trees on them (~130ft) that would do major damage if
they were to blow down. My homeowner's insurance claims person said I should
notify them of the imminent danger of their trees, and that if they were to
fall or be blown down and do damage on my property, it would be their
responsibity for the damages. This puts them in the position of having to
decide if they wanted to continue having that responsibility/liabilty. Without
this kind of notification, it would be a claim against my homeowners insurance
policy with its high deductable, and the ever present possibility that they
could claim that the tower or antennas are not  coverred.

Doing this is going to annoy the neighbor a little bit, but should cover your
behind if the problem happens. I did it via a very friendly letter that
explained that I was merely doing what my insurance company said I should do.
Trees do not have to be obviously unhealty to fall. I have seen 3 trees in
recent years (1 on my lot) blow down that appeared to be very healthy trees. I
hope my insurance person is right as this could be a very expensive problem if
it were to happen. Lets hope it doesn't, for everyone's sake.

From: K7LXC@aol.com

In a message dated 3/23/2008 10:04:06 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
jimlux@earthlink.net writes:
>  They've also gotten very, very picky about things that cannot be
visually inspected for retro permits.  It's one thing to do electrical
work and the guy can see the new breakers, the new receptacles, etc..
It's another when he can't see the actual footings and rebar. They can,
and do make people dig up their backyard to show that the footing under
the patio cover is what it should be.

    Good points, Jim.

    That's why I said to document everything including photos of the hole,
depth and rebar cage. That, along with receipts, goes a long ways to show your
compliance.

    California is well known for it's burdensome regulations.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH