Re: [TowerTalk] XM-240 Tuning Issues

To: towertalk@contesting.com, putt_1@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] XM-240 Tuning Issues
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 23:26:02 EDT

In a message dated 4/5/2008 8:07:03 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Just got a CC XM-240 together and on the tower.  I'm  having some tuning
issues.  There are CW, MID and SSB settings on the  elements and I split the
difference per some of the other posts that I have  seen between CW and MID.
At
80ft and using an MFJ-259B, the best I see  is about 2.5 SWR at 7.062Mhz.  I
see no other dips.

    Hmm. I've got a lot of experience with the 402CD  but not much with the
XM. My advice was to split the CW and MID settings. That  way it would resonate
about 7.060 and the 2:1 points were 7.000 and  7.250.

>  Any tips?

    The only difference in the 2 antennas is the fact  that the reflector is
grounded in the XM version.

>  Coils  looked good with the exception of 1.  The outward facing opening on
one  LCA was larger than the others and was too large for the element tip.  I
 made an aluminum sleeve so that the tip would fit.

    Don't know what else to tell you. It should show  a big dip low in the
band.

>  I'll be bringing the antenna  back down today or Sunday to go-over.  BTW,
I am using the CC supplied  matching network.

What is a CC supplied matching network?  That's a new one on me. The split
coax feed was the last thing I saw.

    Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC