Re: [TowerTalk] Any BN-86 Balun Replacement Suggestions?

To: "Towertalk e-Goups" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Any BN-86 Balun Replacement Suggestions?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:44:41 -0700
On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 12:07:50 -0400, Eric - VE3GSI wrote:

>The SWR measurements are good on 20 meters, but on 15 and 10 meters
>the SWR is 1.2:1 on the CW portion of the band.

Unless you're measuring at the end of a long line that is swamping a
much higher SWR at the antenna, your definition of "an SWR problem" is
quite different from mine. I'm thrilled if the SWR at the feedpoint of
one of my antennas is less than 2:1 over the bandwidth that I want to
operate it. Graphs (and equations) in the ARRL Antenna Book make it
clear that losses due to SWR are negligible below 2:1 unless a line is
VERY long.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC