Re: [TowerTalk] whole house surge protectors

To: "'Kim Elmore'" <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] whole house surge protectors
From: "Marshall Stewart KA5M" <marsh@ka5m.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:44:14 -0500
My "whole house" surge suppressor is installed in a separate outdoor
enclosure located right next to my outdoor 200A main breaker service entry
loadcenter.  The surge suppressor is fed from the loadcenter by a 15A 2P
branch breaker located just below the 200A main breaker.  The 2 hot leads,
the neutral, and the ground wire from the surge suppressor into the
loadcenter are as short as possible.  A weather proof fitting was used to
connect the surge suppressor enclosure to the loadcenter.

The surge suppressor was made by Eaton Corp's electrical group,
Cutler-Hammer.  I also use additional "point-of-use" surge arrestors inside
my house made by Cutler-Hammer and other manufacturers.

If the surge suppressor is installed correctly, Cutler-Hammer does stand
behind their warranty.

73,
Marsh, KA5M