Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking Antennas for different Bands

To: "'PY1KS - Alex'" <py1ks.alex@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking Antennas for different Bands
From: "Bill Parry" <bparry@rgv.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 14:39:24 -0500
Alex,

I have a C3E and a XM240. You are not going to have success using a stacking
distance of under 15 feet. I believe that mine are about 12 feet apart. I
put my antennas up in 2002 and noticed immediately SWR and front to back
issues on both antennas. My tower is 120 feet of Rohn 25 and a 21 foot piece
of steel tubing serving as a mast. The mast extends about 5 feet down into
the tower where my TailTwister is located.  I have two thrust bearings (be
sure to replace the bolts with stainless or you are going to have problems)
one at the top of the tower and one about 12 inches above the rotator.

I asked around and found the only solution for me was to rotate boom of the
bottom antenna (the C3E in my case) 90 degrees. I did this and both antennas
began to play properly. If I were you, I would assume that I was going to
have to do this and plan accordingly. I have no idea how the 6 meter beam
will affect the other two antennas, but I have been considering it as well.

Good luck, if you want a picture of my installation I will be glad to send
it to you directly.

Bill W5VX