Re: [TowerTalk] Any reason not to use commercial CATV connectors?

To: Dan Levin <djl@andlev.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Any reason not to use commercial CATV connectors?
From: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 17:24:08 -0700
Hello Dan,

Most hardline CATV connectors I have seen have robust, high current capacity
contacts with the hardline shield, and center conductor.  The center conductors
are often cinched down with a healthy setscrew, and the shields usually have
a series of serrated, sharp "grippers" that surround the jacket, , and grip
very
tightly, when you wrench tightly the clamping nut.  While the signal levels are
indeed low voltage and current, most such connectors are also, designed to carry
the DC or AC  power, to power the various series connected active devices
between the nearest power supply and the end of the coax line.  A fair number
of amps, t here.

A quick and effective way to connectorize .750 CATV hardline is to use  a
double
female UHF fitting (what takes PL-259s on both ends),  Chop (Hacksaw) the .750
clean on
the end, Take a  Hacksaw, and cut 4 equally spaced slots in the alum jacket,
about
1.5" long from then end, clear all filings, and clear out about 1.5" of the
foamed
dielectric. A blade with a wide saw Kerf works best, allowing some
compression/dia
reduction to clamp to the barrel connector  Champfer the center conductor to a
slight conical shape, and gently puish on the double female barrel connector.
(apply a tiny amount of dielecric grease to the threads of the Barrel)  Be sure
the
inside of the alum jacket is clean, bare aluminum with no particles, dielectric
residue,
 or sometimes cable flooding goo. Attach a small hose clamp tightly on the
coax,
around the threads inside the coax, that you can see  through the sawcut
slots..
Seal VERY thoroughly with Scotch electrical tape,
Gorilla Snot, and more tape.

All the best,
Pat Barthelow    (916) 315-9271
Jamesburg Moon Bounce Team