Re: [TowerTalk] Any reason not to use commercial CATV connectors?

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Any reason not to use commercial CATV connectors?
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 19:13:59 -0700
Roger (K8RI) wrote:
> As has been mentioned, finding something to mate with
> either N or UHF connectors might be a bit tough.

I've played around with plumbing fittings to make connectors for 1/2
Heliax and several months ago back came up with the following.  One of
these days I'll write it up with pictures and stick it on my website,
but in the meantime ...

Home Depot sells a brass fitting that makes a very nice adapter for
female UHF connectors (UG-363, SO-239 barrels).  The fitting is made by
Watts, comes in a little plastic bag with a green stripe at the top, and
goes by the designator "A-200".  It has female threads on one end that
are identical to UHF threads, and on the other end is a compression
fitting that (if you remove the compression sleeve) fits very well into
1/2 inch copper plumbing tube.  The A-200 fits just a bit sloppy in the
lightweight schedule M type copper tube but the joint is still
solderable.  If you use the more standard and slightly thicker walled
schedule L type copper tubing, just a touch with a file on the A-200
threads makes a really nice snug fit.  I always solder that joint
(before connecting the UHF barrel) , but I'm pretty sure it would be
possible to simply screw the A-200 into the relatively soft schedule L
copper tube if you were careful with the file.  If I remember correctly,
the A-200 sells for about $3.

By the way, 5/32 inch OD brass tubing makes a nice snug-fitting pin to
mate with the UHF barrel.  The best source I've found for all sorts of
brass tubing is, surprisingly enough, online at Ace Hardware Outlet
(www.acehardwareoutlet.com).*   *They sell all diameters and wall
thicknesses of brass tubing that, with a little bit of creativity in
combining them, can be mated to just about any kind of cable center
conductor.  Here's a link to some of the 5/32 inch tube in 12 inch
lengths, but they sell it in longer lengths as well.
*http://tinyurl.com/3efvb6*  (bottom of the page).

73,
Dave   AB7E