Re: [TowerTalk] antenna sling for tramming

To: towertalk@contesting.com, wc1m@msn.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antenna sling for tramming
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 23:30:50 EDT

In a message dated 5/11/2008 6:53:54 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>   My techniques works OK on a relatively light antenna  like the 40-2CD,
but I
found the heavier SteppIRs have a tendency to rotate  in the straps i.e., the
boom rotates) When that's happened, I've had to  secure the straps with hose
clamps, but I think this is a bad idea because  hose clamps have sharp edges.
I'd like to find a better way to secure the  straps to the boom.

    Well, the main problem is that the SteppIRs have  the elements above the
boom which makes them top-heavy and want to turtle or  pitch-pole upsidedown.
The KLM/M2 has the same problem being top-heavy. Just  about all other
antennas have the elements below the boom or thru the boom.

Using hoseclamps is okay. Just check your slings  after using them. I doubt
any damage will happen.

    The only way to get around this is to use a  tiller of some sort. It
attaches to the boom and the other end slides up the  tramline. There are
discussions in the archives at _www.contesting.com_ (http://www.contesting.com)
.

>  Soon I'll be tramming the heaviest antenna I've attempted: a  Cal-AV
2D-40A,
at 17 sq ft wind load and 165 lbs. Needless to say, I'll  wait for a calm
day. But with such a large antenna. I want to make sure the  sling technique
is as sound as possible.

        The weight shouldn't be a  big problem. It's the top-heavy thing that
you're fighting. BTW you might want  to double-block your haul line for an
antenna this heavy. That'll cut the haul  weight in half.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH

favorites at AOL Food.