[TowerTalk] crankup winch cable, w/prelube 6 and dirt on surface

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] crankup winch cable, w/prelube 6 and dirt on surface
From: "Jay R. Holcomb" <wa0www@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 03:31:54 +0000
hi,
i did use the prelube 6 on my crank up tower cables last fall and i think all
went well.  however this spring i see the cables now have a layer of dirt on
them. there is a lot of dust in the air here in spokane and the prelube has
attracted it.  i wiped off a little, which took some effort, the cable under is
shiny and looks like new.  Steve mentioned about grease attacking the dirt and
this is not so good.

seems even if its prelube 6 that attracts the dirt this is not good either.
wiping it off is going to take a lot of work though should i go through the
effort, or can it wait until i do the annual prelube 6 this fall?

73 & soft landings, jay, wa0www> ------------------------------> > Message: 7>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 14:16:48 EDT> From: K7LXC@aol.com> Subject: Re:
[TowerTalk] crankup winch cable ... etc.> To: k2qmf@juno.com> Cc:
towertalk@contesting.com> Message-ID: <c71.2f636b6b.35589210@aol.com>>
7:59:53 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, > k2qmf@juno.com writes:> > > Does
stainless steel aircraft cable require a coating???> > There's no coating
involved. A cable lubricant like PreLube 6 is a > lightweight material that
soaks into the cable to lubricate the strands. > > I've seen guys lubing their
crank-up cables with a heavy grease, which > is about the worst thing you can
do. Not only does the grease trap moisture in > the cables, it also attracts
dirt and contaminants that will accelerate > wear. > > Someone earlier
mentioned using WD-40 to lubricate the cables. WD stands > for Water
Displacement which is what it
 's intended use is. It's not really a > lubricant although it has some
characteristics of one. > > I would imagine that any wire rope needs periodic
lubrication. > > Cheers,> Steve K7LXC> TOWER TECH