Re: [TowerTalk] The Vertical and the Balun

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] The Vertical and the Balun
From: Commander John <crazytvjohn@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 10:04:01 -0700 (PDT)
The Balun is a item the use of which should be avoided if at all possible.
  john w9zy

  vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv w9zy

N7mal <n7mal@citlink.net> wrote:
    jerry I have a real problem with some of these explanations. Unfortunately
know just enough about antenna stuff to be dangerous. The purpose of a balun
is to transform an unbalanced something to a balanced something. The
feedline feeding a vertical is unbalanced so we are 1/2 way there. A
vertical however is an unbalanced antenna and in most cases more unbalanced
than the feedline feeding it. Something has to give and it's usually in the
form of heat. How does the balun deal with the heat? What happens to all
these crazy impedances when heat, (a lot of heat), becomes a factor?
73

  W9ZY
                .... Commander John ....