[TowerTalk] G5RV vs Vertical for DXing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, <dx-is@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] G5RV vs Vertical for DXing
From: "John Geiger" <aa5jg@lcisp.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 14:02:21 -0000
My 20-10m mini yagi was damaged recently in a storm, so I am looking for a
short term replacement-or at least until we get some decent sunspots.  I
currently have up a homebrew G5RV type antenna with the center around 30
feet and the ends sloping down slightly.  I use this on 160-30m, and did use
it for a couple of years on the higher bands with decent results.

Now here is my question, in terms of just 20-10m performance, how would a
roof mounted triband vertical, like the Hy-Gain 12AVQ compare to the G5RV in
performance?  The vertical would be mounted around 20 feet high, with 4
radials per band.  Would the vertical be worth the extra money, or would the
performance be so similar (or even better on the G5RV) that I should just
save the money and effort and forget the vertical?

73s John AA5JG

73s John AA5JG
(ex: W5TD, NE0P)
6M WAS #1275, 6m VUCC #1260