Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV vs Vertical

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV vs Vertical
From: Dennis Ventler <w9jdj@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 12:55:36 -0500

I think you would find condx where one antenna will outperform the other and
vice versa.  I have had up for the last six months a HF9V roof mounted with
radials for each band, a 40 Meter inverted v with the apex at 45 foot and a 130
foot center fed zepp with ladder line at 50 foot fed into a good tuner.  It is
amazing to see the different condx, time of day and the other stations
distances while switching antennas and how each one performs.  At times, when
you would expect the vertical to work best for DX, it isn't the best antenna.
Sometimes, there is no difference and other times, there is a considerable
difference( one S unit or better).   I have always found in my 55 years of
hamming that you can never have too many antennas for each band that you want
to work.  My consensus is that if I only could have one antenna, it would be a
good multiband vertical, especially if you want to work DX and you don't have a
beam.  This goes from 160 M thru 10 Meters in terms of the bands you operate.

Regards

W9JDJ, Denny