Re: [TowerTalk] new member with tower question

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] new member with tower question
From: "Patrick J. Jankowiak" <recycler@swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 21:43:06 -0500
I was also thinking about water piling up in the tower legs. I have seen
bases for Rohn towers that sit on top of the concrete foundation, and I
suppose the water if any runs out the bottom there?

The tower will be more than its height away from any lines. I have room
for about 2X. If the tower went towards the lines, it would land on the
house first. What I have is a 50x150 lot with power lines at the very
front, and the possibility to put the tower about 55FT from the back of
the lot. The "shack" is a 30x40 building at the back of the lot.

Here's my deal:

I really -need- a dipole of about 100FT length. The guys tell me it
needs to be 40FT high at the center and at least 20-30FT high at the
ends for the kind of propagation I can live with.

I really -want-:
stacked 6M beam, 2M beam, 440 beam
225-400MHz discone,
108-140MHz discone.
- and I don't think I can put those on the center pole with the dipole!
But they need to be up at least 25-30FT and that would be mediocre
because my site is in a slightly low lying area with alot of trees. Some
of the trees are going to be whacked soon. Of course I could put up a
small pole farm, and get away with alot of this, not sure about the
beams on a push up pole with a rotor, that is a bit heavy.

My total budget is about $1500 (less the antennas, co-ax, etc)

Patrick

Jim Hoge wrote:
> Patrick,
>
>   There is another issue you must contend with- drainage of water and
> condensate from the tower legs of any tubular tower. I am a tower monkey in
> the DFW area and I cannot begin to tell you how many freeze splits I have
> seen in the tower legs because of inadequate drainage. I removed one Rohn 25
> tower that was very similar to what you have proposed. The tower base was dug
> down about 2 1/2 feet until the caliche was hit. The tower legs rested on the
> caliche rather than a bed of gravel and the concrete was poured. The freeze
> split on one tower leg was 4 1/2 feet above ground, far above the normal 1
> foot I see in the area. Rohn specifies a gravel bed for drainage for this
> very reason. By only digging down until you hit the caliche, you are
> compromising the mass of the base and if you put in the gravel, even more so.
> The caliche can be dug out with effort, something you will need to do for the
> guy posts anyway. A hammerdrill can be used to to start a hole and once you
> have an
>  area to break off the  caliche into, it will break. One step up the tool
> ladder is a demolition hammer. The bottom line is don't cut corners on the
> installation. Follow the manufacturer's specs. They are there for a reason.
> If you can't make it work, don't guess, get a engineer involved. BTW, do you
> have overhead powerlines or a drop nearby? My personal safety factor is 2
> times the height of the tower to the nearest line.
>
>   73 es gl,
>   Jim W5QM

kind regards,

Patrick Jankowiak
- 19th RGT. Texas State Guard
- MEMS Basic Certified
- FCC: General RTO
- Amateur Radio: KD5OEI [extra]
- American Radio Relay League
- Royal Order of the Wouff-Hong
- Vintage Radio - Phonograph Society
- Military Vehicle Preservation Association
- Sponsor: Christian Childrens Fund
- Master: www.magnetosphere.net