Re: [TowerTalk] first tower--first guys

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] first tower--first guys
From: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 10:34:38 -0400
TT:

Rohn specifies guys at 30' intervals.

Should be fine to climb and attach guys, if the base meets mfr's specs.

Should be no problem forming guy loops using preforms, and dropping
the loops over the tower legs, either.   Shouldn't need the
bracket.   Been done many times.
HOWEVER-- the bracket will allow the guys to remove torque loading
from the tower, while
leg-loops will not do much in that regard.

(To really stabilize things, contemplate double-guys and anti-torque
brackets.
It's done in hurricane prone areas of Florida.)

Personally, I've never  been real comfortable at 90', putting on the
top section and top guys,
even with the guys at 30 and 60 snugged up well.  Things are just a
tad too elastic for my
comfort.   No rational evaluation of the elasticity of steel, or
strength of the tower-truss system
will overcome that level of anxiety.   So I stopped climbing.

N2EA