Re: [TowerTalk] Vert. 1/2 wave dipole vs Hori. 1/2 wave dipole?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vert. 1/2 wave dipole vs Hori. 1/2 wave dipole?
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 12:03:11 -0500
I dare say that radials are useful under *any* kind of antenna.
Anything we can do to decrease ground losses is a Good Thing.

A vertical 1/2 wave antenna isn't fed "against" ground as is a 1/4
wave vertical.  Ground currents are a minimum at the base of a 1/2
wave vertical, and the current loop is distributed much further out,
over more area, which means that the current density is reduced, So,
the magnitude of the current is less, which means that the ground
losses are proportionately reduced. though not eliminated. Current at
the base of a 1/4 wave vertical is a maximum, and ground losses are a
much more immediate concern.

Ideally, we'd place our antennas on an infinitely flat plane made of
copper, but the expense tends to be the zero-order limit on our
ability to do that.

Kim N5OP