Re: [TowerTalk] Repairing 25G in situ

To: towertalk@contesting.com, butwheat73@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Repairing 25G in situ
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 10:06:36 EDT

In a message dated 6/20/2008 6:42:08 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  The bottom two sections of one of my 25G towers has  elongated the bolt
holes
to the extent that timberrrrrr is at  risk.

    I assume timberrrrr means falling like a tree. A  guyed tower doesn't
fall like that. While your damage is obvious I doubt that  it's fatal.

>  I'm tempted to have a local shop cut a steel  tube  whose ID matches the OD
of the legs lengthwise so I can strap it  and bolt it to the existing loose
joints on the outside to keep the ol'  buger up.

    The leg joint bolts hold the sections  together and also help take the
vertical load compression of the tower.  Adding a splint section or two to the
legs might help but aren't too helpful  for the compression. Since they're
already elongated, you could put in bigger  bolts to fill the holes. You could
also drill a new hole between the two  existing holes with a new bolt and
that'd
help.

    How did they get elongated? Elongation is usually  a function of tower
rocking back and forth. (How did that happen with a guyed  tower?)

    I'm not too worried about the elongation if  that's the only damage. It
just means that the leg compression (which in the  case of this 50' tower is
pretty small) is pushing down closer to the  swaged part of the leg if the
tower
has actually settled a little bit. If the  leg is still intact (no splitting
or other damage), doing the above will put  it back into the reliable
category.

Cheers & GL,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -