Re: [TowerTalk] Repairing 25G in situ

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Repairing 25G in situ
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:35:47 -0400
butwheat wrote:
> The bottom two sections of one of my 25G towers has elongated the bolt holes
> to the extent that timberrrrrr is at risk.

This isn't probably what you want to hear but:
How the devil can you get elongated bolt holes in a 25G?  There are two
bolts per leg. The only possibilities are bolts of the incorrect size,
something fell on the guys (which usually bends things) or it doesn't
have any guys.
> I'm tempted to have a local shop cut a steel tube  whose ID matches the OD
> of the legs lengthwise so I can strap it and bolt it to the existing loose
> joints on the outside to keep the ol' buger up.

That is not a safe way to strengthen one, unless it's well out by it
self and no one can get near and hurt it when it finally goes over.  The
only safe way to fix it is to take the tower down and replace those
sections with the elongated bolt holes.  As it's the bottom two
sections, you have two out of 5 that are bad and the tower is no longer
safe to climb.  At about $100 per section new, that's about $300.
> Thoughts? There's nothing up there but some small V/UHF beams, a discone on
> a sidearm, an inverted vee HF wire offa the other end of the side arm, and a
> small rotor.
> Oh, it's about 50' AGL.

A 50 foot 25G is not considered self supporting. If it is installed self
supporting I'd side with those who have said, Time to dump it over.
> adTHANKSvance,
>
> Mark
Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com