Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV vs. 2 element yagi

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV vs. 2 element yagi
From: Tim Kass <timkass@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:31:40 -0400
I have used a 2 element Moxon beam at 30 feet up for 20 and up...it beats the
pants off the doublet at 50 feet.  Quieter and soem serious F/B...Moxon's are
noted for working well even at heights of 3/8 wave.

73, Tim K8WBL"Everything you want is inside you, All you fear is there as well;
If you let another tell you how to liveYou have made your personal hell"> Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2008 21:00:54 +0100> From: steve@karinya.net> To:
towertalk@contesting.com> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV vs. 2 element yagi> >
John,> > I have a 2-element home-built Broadband Hexbeam at 20ft and a 132ft >
centre-fed doublet with its apex at 20ft. The Hexbeam consistently >
outperforms the doublet on 14MHz and up. There's an audio A/B comparison > on
my website - it's the last recording on this page: >
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/broadband/> > This recording was not just
a "one off" - it's typical of what I hear > all the time. By the way, the
orientation of the doublet favours the US > on 20m.> > 73,> Steve G3TXQ> > John
Geiger wrote:> > I am currently limited to a G5RV for HF following the demise
of a miniquad I> > was using. I am looking at getting a Mosley 2 element
tribander, but I> > can't g
 et it up very high right now-maybe 25 feet or so.> >> > I know that the low
height will hurt performance, especially on 20 meters.> > Given the low height
of the antenna, would it still be a much better> > performer than the G5RV. The
G5RV isn't up that high either, but has done> > nicely on 30m, 40m and 80m
where I have been using it the last few years.> >> > I guess I am just trying
to figure out whether the 2 element beam would be> > worth the extra money, or
if it would be pretty similar to a G5RV, given the> > low height it would be
at.> >> > 73s John AA5JG> > (ex: W5TD, NE0P)> > 6M WAS #1275, 6m VUCC #1260> >
2m VUCC #615, Satellite VUCC #129> >> >> >
Earn cashback on your purchases with Live Search - the search that pays you
back!
http://search.live.com/cashback/?&pkw=form=MIJAAF/publ=HMTGL/crea=earncashback